Everyone is talking about personal branding and wanting to build one for themselves. The world now understands the importance of standing out from the crowd and the advantages of having a personal brand. I love this quote by Oscar Wilde and think it sums up nicely the essence of personal branding, “Be yourself, everyone else is taken.”
What is Personal Branding?
The concept of personal branding has evolved from the self-improvement theory in which an individual is all focused on getting improved at one particular skill and making an impression on the other’s mind that they are great at it. It all refers to an individual’s ongoing process of becoming an expert at something they are passionate about and spreading the word about, sharing their immense knowledge about the particular skill they have.
The term personal brand was first used and discussed in the 1997 in an article “A Brand Called You” by Tom Peters in Fast Magazine. In this article, Peters states, “Regardless of age, regardless of position, regardless of the business we happen to be in, all of us need to understand the importance of branding. We are CEOs of our own companies: Me Inc.”
Social media, guest blogging, and many contributing platforms are helping people build their personal brand online. However, it’s not only restricted to online presence. Speaking at an event, meeting people offline and introducing yourself in a professional way add up to your personal branding journey.
Many people misunderstand the difference between personal branding and self-promotion to some extent. Personal branding may not be necessarily about self-promotion and boasting about yourself. Rather instead, a personal brand helps you define the type of person you want to be.
Why is it beneficial to have a personal brand?
Personal branding takes consistency, hard work and patience over a number of years. Here’s why personal branding is important to you and your career:
- Increases your visibility in your chosen niche or industry: getting known in your own niche or industry is fantastic for your personal brand.
- Provides you with a competitive advantage: have a personal brand gives you a competitive advantage over others in your field and provides you with strong credibility.
- Allows you to be yourself: personal branding helps you be yourself and do what you love. You will also get paid for what you are excellent at, and this will further inspire you to do more of what you love.
- Builds your reputation: personal branding aids your reputation since people start noticing you because of your genuine expertise.
- Confidence: Personal branding gives you tremendous confidence in life. You don’t have to depend on your external job when you have a strong presence for yourself.
Creating a powerful personal brand takes a lot damn of hard work and real consistency with content. However, having a personal brand provides you with an edge. So start investing in your personal brand today and you’ll start to reap the benefits tomorrow.
Want the latest best practices delivered straight to your inbox? Click here to subscribe to our monthly Kate & Co newsletter!